Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nanotechnology Could Make Batteries in Mobile Devices Obsolete

The battery on my laptop just flashed me a message that I should consider purchasing a new battery. Since the last time I was on battery power it lasted only 15 minutes, I guess they are right. Where are those "nanotech" laptops when you need them.

Seriously, This advance in technology could transform the communication world.

Excerpt:
According to the abstract in Science, the researchers were able to achieve “programming currents as low as 0.5 μA (SET) and 5 μA (RESET), two orders of magnitude lower than state-of-the-art devices.”

What this may translate to for your mobile phone is that a smart phone will consume so little energy that it may not even need a battery but could run on its own thermal or mechanical energy. (Battery manufacturers are not going to like that part).

“I think anyone who is dealing with a lot of chargers and plugging things in every night can relate to wanting a cell phone or laptop whose batteries can last for weeks or months,”

Read full IEEE article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment