Thursday, July 28, 2011

Donations - Who should you give to?

Received this email today, haven't fact checked it, but decided to pass it along anyway. Many years ago I was an independent auditor and performed audits on a number of non-profit organizations. The out-of-line administrative costs and other waste at most of these organizations, especially the Federal anti-poverty agencies, turned my stomach.

While in the Army at Ft Gordon, Ga. in the 60's, I was on CQ one cold winter night when I received a call from a distraught lady looking for her husband who was a sergeant in my Company. I happened to know that the soldier had been taken to the emergency room the previous day and was not available at the time. The lady was crying and stated that she was in a phone booth and that she and her 3 young children had just arrived at their new home to find her husband not their and the door locked. While she stayed on the line, I called the Red Cross and was told that they could not help, that they did not go into that part of town.

I next called the Salvation Army. They told me that they would be there within 1/2 hour. I told the lady and asked her to call me when she was settled. She called me about an hour later and thanked me. She said the Salvation Army rep had arrived, got them inside out of the cold, had the heat turned on and provided food and blankets for her and the children. The next day she was able to see her husband at the hospital.

Another story relates to my brother who was in the Navy during WWII. He told me that the Red Cross got all the publicity, but it was the Salvation Army that always showed up.

I don't know if anything has improved at the Red Cross, but my donations have gone to the Salvation Army ever since my early years. Now for the email:


As you open your pockets for the next natural disaster, keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits. They give to illegals I will not give to them.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

No further comment is necessary.

Please share this with everyone you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment