Thursday, January 12, 2012

At 72, Why Do I Care?


At age 72, I am in the twilight of my God given years here on earth.  While doing research for my blog posts, the question comes to mind, why do I care?  The obvious answer is one given by many; it is because of our children and our children’s children.

But that is not it.

My background is not that of an inner city child.  I grew up with two loving parents, in a small Midwestern town in Ohio, and starting at age 8, did household chores, sold vegetables, delivered newspapers, mowed lawns, painted barns, worked as a stock boy, and even delivered mail  summers and holidays while working myself through college.  Two years in the military after college and I was ready to secure my place in the history books of the greatest nation on earth, the USA.

I only tell you this because those inner city children, and most other of today’s children do not, nor will ever, have the advantages that I or many of my generation had.

What has changed and where are we going? 

A massive expansion of government has occurred at a pace that has weakened our free capitalist system, and if gone unchecked, threatens to collapse our whole economy.

Government welfare programs have destroyed the incentive to work, promoted fatherless families and doomed generations of children to dependency.

These same programs, along with racial quotas and tax laws that exempt close to 50% of the population have created an entitlement society that is rebelling against the wealth creators.

Promotion of gay rights, same sex marriage and abortion has eaten into our religious and moral fiber.

The President and the Democrat Congress has blurred the line between Government and our Capitalist society by taking control of the auto industry and redistributing the spoils to their union supporters, passing onerous regulations on the banking industry, that affect the smaller institutions while ignoring Fannie and Freddie, the quasi-governmental agencies that were at the heart of the financial collapse.  They have passed Obamacare, legislation that takes control of 1/6th of our private economy and will destroy the best medical system in the world.

Lobbyists for the wealthiest corporations manage to “bribe” legislators and Presidents to formulate laws intended for good to discriminate against the individual and smaller entrepreneurs.

Now we have a Congress and Administration that is spending the USA into oblivion, destroying our economy and sapping our military of the means to protect us in an increasingly dangerous world.

Scarier yet is legislation coming out of Congress limiting our freedoms, the most egregious being a portion of the National Defense Authorization Act  giving the President the power to indefinitely detain American citizens without trial. 

After seeing the President usurp Congressional power by making interim appointments while Congress was technically in session and explaining it this way:  “I refuse to take ‘No’ for an answer. I’ve said before that I will continue to look for every opportunity to work with Congress to move this country forward. But when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them,”  it is hardly reassuring when he says about his new detention authority:   “I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens”.

Since FDR, the liberal/progressives have been redefining the Constitution and our current President is showing it little regard.  We are at a point now when the scale is threatening to tip in favor of those that dismiss the belief of self-determination and promote dependency on the Federal government.  Four more years of Obama and a Democrat Senate may seal our fate forever.

But then again, why do I care? 


I don’t know, I just do.

David Light

No comments:

Post a Comment